The summer of 2020 is luckily going to be warm in Finland, Rauma. Hence it is totally ok to spend it without travelling to a warm country. The city of Rauma has listed the 16 public beaches of Rauma, that are good to swim and where the water quality will be tested frequently starting from June 16, 2020.
The results can be seen here.
The one and main beach, that probably comes to your mind first, is Otanlahti beach between Poroholma camping site and the new outdoor poolside. That one is not recommended for swimming as for now.
The so called EU beaches, where the number of visitors might reach over 100 persons on a hot summer day:
- Bergström lake, Monnankatu 32, Rauma
- Saharanna beach, Purjehtijankatu 26, Rauma
- Otanlahti beach, Suvitie 2, Rauma – not suggested for swimming
- Lappi beach, Ruonantie 319, Lappi
Smaller public beaches:
- Kaarojärven rantasauna (Kaarojärvi sauna beach), Kaarojärventie 109, Kaaro
- Kaljasjärven rantasauna(Kaljasjärvi sauna beach), Kaljasjärventie 135, Kodisjoki
- Lillonkarin rantasauna (Lillonkari sauna beach), Lillonkarintie 57 A, Unaja
- Mantereenpään rantasauna (Mantereenpää sauna beach), Puuluntie 388 B, Kaaro
- Noitajärven rantasauna (Noitajärvi sauna beach), Noitajärventie 80, Vermuntila
- Pitkäjärven rantasauna (Pitkäjärvi sauna beach), Kuusmontie 13, Vasarainen
- Tenhonperän rantasauna (Tenhonperä sauna beach), Santperäntie 88, Kortela
- Löylymestarin uimaranta (Löylymestari swim area), Suvitie 14, Rauma
- Narvin kesäkodin uimaranta (Narvi summerhouse beach area), Kesäkodinpolk 238, Lappi
- Merikylpylän uimaranta (Merikylpylä beach), Suvitie, Rauma
- Poroholma camping site beach, Poroholmantie 8, Rauma
- Seurakunnan kesäkodin uimaranta (the beach of the parish summer home; the one where kids play at summer time), Kesäkodintie 28, Rauma
But I personally like the Yyteri white sand beach the most! It is a 70km ride towards Pori.
One option is to check where Yyteri Kylpylä address takes you (the upper spot om map), but a better place is positioning your car map til the Yyteri camping site (Yyterinsantojentie 1, 28840 Yyteri) and passing it until there is a parking place at the end of street.
Parking is free, but always full starting from midday. You see a hamburger kiosk and a toilet. But at the beach side is an ice cream bar (to the right) and modern free toilets and a shower to the left. Few changing booths.
If you take the right hand sidewalk up the mountain, you pass a small lake before getting to the sea. This might be a better option on a windy day.
Enjoy the summer!
Your Rauma guide Kairi Rintanen